Just like other companies, carpet cleaners must find ways to entice new customers. Unfortunately, when most people need their carpets cleaned, they only look at the top companies in online Google searches. If you aren’t one of these listed companies, you’re missing out on new customers. Thus, it’s imperative that your company ranks highly in Google searches via SEO or search engine optimization.
This article discusses a 5-step process that will help your company get higher search engine rankings. However, it’s good to understand this SEO process and its potential to gain more carpet cleaning customers.
- 3 Reasons Why You Must Take Local SEO Seriously
- Find Keywords
- Optimize Keywords in These Two Important Places
- Create Links and Citations
- Ask for Company Reviews
- Track Results
3 Reasons Why You Must Take Local SEO Seriously
Customers No Longer Use the Yellow Pages for Company Inquiries
In the past, it was easy to advertise in the Yellow Pages and get new customers. However, 97 percent of consumers search online to obtain information, and Google is the number one online search engine.
Get Free Traffic
Business advertising has changed over the years, but this doesn’t mean it’s gotten cheaper. The higher your company ranks in online searches, the more free traffic it could receive. More traffic means that you have more chances to get more customers and spend less money to get that traffic.
Receive Quick Results
For most national and global companies, it can take as long as 12 months for their online search rankings to increase. However, most carpet cleaning companies are local. This is beneficial because you don’t have to compete with national and global companies. You only have to worry about local competitors, and most of them haven’t tapped into local SEO yet. The good thing is that your rank could greatly improve within only a couple of days.
Thus, local carpet cleaning companies should use the following five steps to boost their overall rankings in Google:
1. Find Keywords
The first step to getting better SEO rankings involves putting together a list of carpet cleaning keywords. For example, pick generic keywords such as “carpet cleaning,” “cleaning carpets” or “rug cleaning.” Find words that describe your company’s services. Once the list is complete, open a Google AdWords account.
Don’t worry because the account is free, and you won’t have to pay to initiate an ad campaign. Opening an account just gives you access to Google’s Keyword Planner, which lists thousands of keywords from numerous niches. Use the planner to research your list of keywords. It has statistics about how many times your chosen keywords are searched for. Not only can you estimate possible future traffic, but also find other keywords that you may not already have on your list.
Now, it’s time to compile a final keyword listing based upon your keyword planner research. Divide your keywords into the following two types of keywords:
- Buying Intent – When a person uses this type of keyword in an online search, chances are, that person is ready to buy. For instance, a keyword such as “professional carpet cleaning Vancouver” means that this person is looking for a carpet cleaning service in Vancouver. All in all, concentrate on buying intent keywords because they will attract buyers quickly. Make sure they are prominent on your company homepage.
- Research Intent – When a person uses this type of keyword in an online search, at this point, he is just researching your company. Do not focus on research intent keywords as much as buying keywords during advertising campaigns. This is because they don’t lead to quick conversions. Use them in posts that describe your company’s services. When customers are ready to make a buying decision, they’ll already be informed about your company’s carpet cleaning services.
2. Optimize Keywords in These Two Important Places
Make sure that your final keywords are optimized on your company website, and on your Google My Business page.
Google My Business Page
Consider this page to be a little summary of what your company has to offer. This information is usually listed on the “Map” area of Google’s local business results. Not only will this make your company more noticeable, but you can also expect to get higher rankings in Google’s search results.
It’s harder to get this type of ranking with just a regular website. But make sure that your Google My Business has the following complete and correct information about your company:
- Verification – Create a page and submit it to Google for verification. Once it meets Google’s approval, you will see a green checkmark by your company’s name.
- NAP – This stands for the company name, address, and phone number. Make sure that all three things are correct. Keep in mind that this will be shown all over the internet, but you want to emphasize that you have a local business. Do not list your company with an 800-phone number. Choose a local number.
- Categories – According to Google guidelines, you must list company categories per the services performed, and not by the benefits received. List both primary and secondary services. For instance, carpet cleaning may be your primary service. However, your company may also offer upholstery cleaning, RV detailing and even leather cleaning. Do not leave these secondary services out. Try to list at least 3 to 5 service categories.
- Description – Create a description of your company with a minimum of 100 words. Make sure it ends with an attention-grabbing call-to-action. Use the following format for your company description: Name the company and its main services. List the city where your company is located. Talk about company history and why customers keep coming back. Provide a local company phone number and end with a strong call-to-action that tells potential customers what to do. Consider offering a nice discount.
- Hours – List your company’s hours. Ensure they are the same as other listings on the Internet. Also, distinguish between service and office hours.
- Pictures – Put plenty of images on your Google My Business page. This is a great way to grab the attention of potential customers. All photos must be crisp, sized a minimum of 10KB and have a resolution of 720px x 720px. Also, change the default Google My Business background. Choose a background that displays your company’s brand instead.
Your Company Website
Focus on SEO for your company core pages. These are the homepage and service pages. Make sure they are optimized with plenty of buying keywords. Next, optimize your company’s blog and FAQs pages with intent keywords. Concentrate on the following:
- Homepage – When it comes to your homepages, pay the most attention to the title tag. Consider it to be just as important as book chapter titles. It should have at least 50 characters and formatted to show your company’s, name, primary service and city location.
- Meta Description – this element should be a minimum of 100 characters. It should also name your primary service and have a call-to-action. The best format is to list the company name, the primary service, your city, a phone number and something to entice customers such as a discount.
- H1 Headline – This headline must list your company’s main service. Not only should it describe what your company does, but it must also have a great call-to-action.
- Page Copy – This copy should review your company within 500-1000 words. Display company history, services and customer testimonials. Be certain that it does not contain grammatical errors.
- Service Pages – Each primary service must have a separate page that is filled with numerous buying intent keywords. The same rules used to optimize your homepage should be used for each primary service page.
3. Create Links and Citations
Since the foundation of your SEO campaign is done, start creating links and citations. Both of these things can significantly boost your rank with Google. Also, it helps you to get more potential customers.
- Citations – What is a citation? It lists your company’s name, address and phone number. It is an online company NAP. Place citations in places such as Facebook, yellowpages.com, your local Chamber of Commerce and even different carpet cleaning directories. Such directories are both free and paid. Research Google Analytics to see which type of directory will drive the most traffic and lead to the most conversions.
- Links – Google uses many factors to rank websites. One such factor depends on whether or not your website has a lot of inbound links from other authoritative websites. Connect with other companies in your industry in different cities. Obtain links from these types of websites. You could even consider trading web links with industry companies. Also, find out where the competition is getting authoritative links by utilizing online tools such as Moz Open Site Explorer.
4. Ask for Company Reviews
Asking for reviews is very beneficial. First, this convinces potential customers to take a chance on your company. Also, it shows Google that your business is legit. Most review sites can help in this respect, but Google My Business will drive the most traffic in a quick manner. Email satisfied customers and ask them to review your company’s services. Make sure there is a link to your Google My Business profile in all emails. Do this on a regular basis, and you’ll find it very advantageous for your company.
5. Track Results
Track the results of all SEO campaigns. This is the only way to know if they are working and if adjustments need to be made. There is a lot of information to track, but concentrate on the following three things the most:
- Rankings – Google factors in your browsing history when it determines your page rank. In order to get the right rankings, you must use a specific tool known as the Google Search Console. The name was changed from Google Webmaster. Use this tool to check search engine rankings a minimum of once a month. Also consider purchasing a paid tool that is listed on RankRanger.com. This tool allows you to get information from each SEO campaign.
- Traffic – Use Google Analytics, which is a good way to track results. It shows how much traffic is received and which website pages are providing the most traffic. You’ll also see how much traffic is generated based upon the Google search engine. Track results and look for trends.
- Conversions – When your website visitors do what is listed in your call-to-action, this means that you have a conversion. For instance, if they want them to call you for carpet cleaning, you’ll give them a discount. Google Analytics lets you monitor phone and website conversions. Also, you’ll see which of your website pages have the worst and best conversions.
It’s Time for You to Follow These Steps!
Now, you can see how SEO campaigns can drive traffic to your business. Follow these steps in order:
- Find keywords
- Optimize keywords in these two places
- Create links and citations
- Ask for company reviews
- Track results